Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dog Sleding in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

In December 2005 and into January 2006 I took a trip to visit a friend, and fellow River Guide, who was working as a Dog Sled Guide in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I made the drive with a friend who I met while working at Moosejaw Mountaineering. We stayed either in a tent and camped out in the below 0 temperatures or stayed at a little cabin they had built on site with other Guides. Guiding my own team of dogs has been something I have wanted to do since I was very young. I was probably in about 2nd grade when I read Gary Paul's book "Woodsong" and had ever since wanted to be a Musher. No wonder I jumped at the slightest hint of invitation to join my friend Brandon for some free Dog Sled rides.


My Team of dogs ready to go.


Taking a little break along the trail.



Brandon showing a lil love for his lead dog.




Untangling the dog harnesses.






This is the little cabin we were allowed to stay in for a few nights.


The wood burning stove which attempted to ward off the cold.



Lower Tahquamenon falls in the U.P. also known as "Root Beer Falls."




No comments: